By Anashe Murombedzi
ZIMBABWE is facing an imminent ban from all international football tournaments, amid reports that the Sport and Recreational Commission (SRC) is refusing to cooperate with FIFA in finding a lasting solution to its impasse that led to the suspension of the ZIFA board last month.
It is all looking bleak for the local football fraternity after the tripartite meeting for FIFA, ZIFA and SRC that was meant to iron out issues regarding ZIFA Board’s suspension, failed to take off this Tuesday.
ZBC News is reliably informed that the virtual meeting had to be called off after the SRC failed to attend due to reasons only known to themselves.
SRC spokesperson, Sabastian Garikai told ZBC News to call after an hour purporting that he was in a marathon meeting, but his phone was unreachable thereafter.
The ZIFA board legal representative, Chenaimoyo Gumiro told ZBC News that he will only comment after FIFA releases a statement.
The development, however, comes as bad news for the football-crazy nation of Zimbabwe as FIFA could be left with no option except to suspend the country from international football including the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals which kick off in Cameroon on the 9th of next month.
Zimbabwe is in group B alongside African powerhouse, Senegal, Guinea and Malawi and failure by Zimbabwe to participate at the showpiece means shattered dreams for some local players who had hoped to, for the first time, share a football pitch with the likes of Liverpool forward, Sadio Mane and Chelsea’s UEFA Champions League winner, Edouard Mendy.
The SRC suspended the Felton Kamambo led ZIFA board last month on a catalogue of charges and the commission’s chairperson, Gerald Mlotshwa is on record saying they are prepared for whatever sanctions from FIFA, including a ban.
The post Tripartite meeting for FIFA, ZIFA, SRC fails to take off appeared first on ZBC NEWS.